What to expect
Construction will take place in three phases between 2015 and 2018. ODOT will improve SE 82nd Avenue between SE Lindy Street and the Mount Scott Creek Bridge (near SE Sunnybrook Boulevard) for all users by repaving the roadway and installing sidewalk ramps at intersections to make it easier for everyone to get where they need to go.
ODOT completed the first phase of the project in summer 2015, which included repaving the southern portion of SE 82nd Avenue between SE King Road and the Mount Scott Creek Bridge. Construction crews also painted bike lanes between SE King Road and SE Sunnyside Road.
Phase 2 improvements were completed in fall 2017, which included:
- Widening sidewalks where space allows.
- Installing sidewalk ramps with gentler slopes for wheelchairs and walkers.
- Adding bump pads to sidewalk ramps that help visually impaired people detect intersections.
- Rebuilding some crosswalk signals to make them easier for pedestrians to use.
Work in 2018
During Phase 3, ODOT will improve the roadway and sidewalks of Southeast 82nd Avenue between Southeast Lindy Street and Southeast King Road by:
- Repaving the roadway and adding striping for bike lanes where possible.
- Adding new sidewalks.
- Enhancing sidewalk ramps according to Americans with Disabilities Act standards.
Working with the community to minimize disruptions
- Construction updates. Before each construction phase starts, ODOT will notify businesses by mail to alert them of the work. ODOT will post weekly construction updates online. Concerns and questions can be submitted through this website at any time.
- Working on the sidewalks and ramps during the day. This work will have few impacts to motorists. Pedestrians will have detours to safely lead them around construction work. ODOT will work with TriMet to temporarily relocate bus stops in construction areas.
- Paving at night. Lane closures will be necessary for paving and striping work. Intersections will be affected for the least amount of time to finish the work. East – west travel across 82nd Avenue will be possible throughout the project.
- Expected nighttime paving schedule:
- Monday through Friday 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Weekend work as needed from 9 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- We will monitor a 24-hour noise hotline: 503-412-2330
Do you have questions? Connect with us on our comment form.